Red Flags to Watch for When Shopping for Solar Installations
Ensuring a Smooth Solar Journey with Supreme Solar
Welcome to the Supreme Solar blog, where we aim to educate and empower homeowners considering solar installations. Going solar is a significant decision that requires careful research and choosing a reputable solar company. In this blog post, we will discuss ten crucial red flags to watch for when shopping for solar installations. By being aware of these red flags, you can protect yourself from potential issues and make an informed decision that aligns with your energy goals. At Supreme Solar, we prioritize customer satisfaction, quality installations, and long-term benefits. Let’s explore these red flags together to ensure a smooth and successful solar journey.
- Improper Installation Timelines: One of the first red flags to watch for when considering a solar company is their claim of installing solar systems the next day. While it may seem enticing to have your solar system up and running quickly, it’s essential to understand the process involved. Supreme Solar values adherence to legal requirements, including the three-day right to cancel, permitting procedures, and comprehensive planning checks. These necessary steps ensure that your solar installation is safe, compliant, and optimized for long-term performance. Remember, a reputable solar company will prioritize quality over rushed timelines.
- Lack of Permits: Permits play a vital role in solar installations, ensuring compliance with local building codes and regulations. If a solar company suggests installing without obtaining the necessary structural and electrical permits, it should raise a red flag. At Supreme Solar, we understand the significance of permits in the solar installation process. We work diligently to obtain all required permits to ensure the legality, safety, and eligibility of our customers’ solar systems. By doing so, we enable homeowners to participate in net metering programs and ensure a smooth final inspection process.
- Absence of System Monitoring: System monitoring is a critical aspect of any solar installation. It allows homeowners to track their system’s performance, ensuring it operates optimally and generates the expected energy output. If a solar company does not offer system monitoring services or downplays their importance, it should raise concerns. At Supreme Solar, we recognize the significance of system monitoring. We provide comprehensive monitoring solutions that allow our customers to monitor their solar system’s performance on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. This transparency empowers homeowners to track their energy production and identify any potential issues promptly.
- Absence of Licenses: When selecting a solar company, it is crucial to verify their licenses and certifications. Unlicensed installers may lack the necessary expertise and may not adhere to industry standards. At Supreme Solar, we pride ourselves on holding the required licenses and certifications. Our team of professionals includes licensed contractors approved by the contractor state license board (CSLB) and knowledgeable representatives who possess the necessary home improvement sales licenses. These licenses demonstrate our commitment to professionalism, compliance, and ethical business practices.
- Posing as Utility or Government Representatives: Beware of individuals who claim to represent utility companies or government entities during the solar shopping process. These individuals may approach homeowners and attempt to gain access to their homes under false pretenses. At Supreme Solar, we prioritize transparency and ethical practices. Our representatives will never impersonate utility companies or government officials. We encourage homeowners to verify the identities of individuals representing Supreme Solar to ensure a trustworthy and secure solar experience.
- Claims of Free Systems: The idea of receiving a free solar system may sound appealing, but it’s important to approach such claims with caution. In reality, solar installations involve costs associated with equipment, labor, and necessary components. At Supreme Solar, we are committed to transparency in our pricing and financing options. While we offer zero-down programs and various financing opportunities to make solar more accessible, we emphasize that solar systems are not free. Our knowledgeable representatives will provide accurate information regarding the costs involved and help homeowners choose the financing option that best suits their needs.
- False State Incentives: State incentives can significantly impact the financial viability of a solar installation. It’s crucial to be aware of the available incentives and their eligibility criteria. If a solar company claims to offer state incentives where none exist, it raises a red flag. In California, the state currently does not provide specific solar incentives. However, there is a federal tax credit available, which Supreme Solar will ensure you are aware of and can take advantage of. Additionally, there may be localized programs, such as self-generating incentives for batteries in specific territories. At Supreme Solar, we stay up to date with all incentives to provide our customers with accurate and valuable information.
- Installation on a Bad Roof: Installing solar panels on a roof in poor condition can lead to future issues and potential leaks. If a solar company fails to assess the condition of your roof or suggests installing on an aging or damaged roof, it should raise concerns. Supreme Solar recognizes the importance of installing solar systems on roofs that are structurally sound and suitable for long-term installations. Our qualified experts conduct thorough roof inspections to ensure the integrity and durability of your solar system. By prioritizing the health of your roof, we aim to provide a seamless and worry-free solar experience.
- Installation on the North Side of the Property: Solar panels require optimal sun exposure to generate maximum energy output. If a solar company proposes installing panels on the north side of your property, it indicates a lack of understanding of solar principles. At Supreme Solar, we emphasize the significance of south-facing installations to capture the most sunlight throughout the day. Our experienced team ensures that solar panels are strategically placed to maximize energy production and provide homeowners with the highest return on their investment.
- Installation in Shaded Areas: Shade can significantly impact the performance of solar panels, reducing their energy generation capabilities. If a solar company proposes installing panels in shaded areas without addressing potential shade issues, it should raise concerns. Supreme Solar conducts comprehensive site assessments to identify potential shading challenges. We believe in maximizing solar energy production and will only recommend installations where panels receive ample sunlight throughout the day. By avoiding shaded areas, we ensure that our customers’ solar systems operate efficiently and produce the desired energy output.
At Supreme Solar, we believe in transparency and helping our customers make educated decisions. Solar energy is not entirely free, but the financial benefits and environmental impact make it a wise investment. Whether you choose to purchase a solar system, lease, or enter a PPA, our team is here to guide you every step of the way.