A Comprehensive Guide to Mounting Systems and Railing Systems for Various Roof Types
Welcome to Supreme Solar’s blog post, where we provide a detailed training document on mounting systems and railing systems for different roof types. As a leading solar company, we prioritize delivering structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing solar panel installations. By following this guide, our technicians will gain the necessary knowledge and skills to ensure successful installations on various roof surfaces. Let’s explore the installation processes, specific instructions, and important considerations for each roof type.
Composite Shingle Roof
Composite shingle roofs are a popular choice for residential buildings.
Here’s how our technicians install solar panels on this roof type:
- Pre-Drilling and Stud Identification:
- Begin by using a 3/16 drill bit to pre-drill holes for the mounting system.
- Locate and mark the studs to determine stud distances.
- Ensure the stud spacing aligns with the house specifications (e.g., 24 inches on center).
- Sealant Application and Lag Bolt Installation:
- Before installing lag bolts, apply sealant to the areas of penetration.
- Choose a composite shingle roof flashing that can easily slide underneath the shingles.
- Securely install lag bolts into the pre-drilled holes.
- Cover the lag bolts and penetrations with sealant to ensure waterproofing.
- L Foot Installation:
- Place an L foot on top of the flashing, ensuring a secure fit.
- Connect the railing system directly to the L foot for added stability.
- For a clean and uniform appearance, use black accessories.
W Tile Roof
W tile roofs offer a unique set of challenges for solar panel installations.
Here’s how our technicians tackle them:
- Universal Tile Hook:
- Utilize a universal Tile Hook designed specifically for W tile roofs.
- Identify three different positions for adjusting the Tile Hook.
- Determine the ideal position based on the roof’s valley and stud locations.
- Pre-Drilling and Sealing:
- Use the appropriate drill bit to pre-drill holes for mounting.
- Apply sealant to the penetrations to prevent leaks.
- Tile Adjustment and Lag Bolt Installation:
- If necessary, grind down tiles to ensure a flush fit.
- Install lag bolts securely into the mounting system.
- Ensure proper sealing with an M1 penetration before lagging into the studs.
- Flat Tile Hook:
- Follow the same process as for W tile roofs but use a flat tile hook instead.
- After removing the flat tiles, pre-drill holes for mounting.
- Seal all penetrations.
- Lag the flat tile hook directly into the studs.
- Reinstall the flat tiles, ensuring a proper fit.
For roofs with a reverse tilt, such as metal roofs, our technicians employ the following steps:
- Iron Ridge Reverse Tilt Tool Kit:
- Select the appropriate size from the Iron Ridge reverse tilt tool kit (e.g., 10, 20, or 30 inches) based on the roof’s slope.
- Flashing and Lag Bolt Installation:
- Begin by installing flashings, ensuring proper placement.
- Insert lag bolts through the reverse tilt tool kit.
- Adjust the angle based on the roof’s slope.
Iron Ridge XR10 Rail System
The Iron Ridge XR10 rail system is a reliable choice for panel mounting. Here’s how our technicians utilize it:
- Mounting Rails:
- Utilize the Iron Ridge XR10 rail system for secure panel mounting.
- Mount the rails directly to the L foot or tile hook using rail bolts.
- Ensure the entire system is grounded by properly connecting the rail and mounting components.
- Rail Placement and Spacing:
- Position two rails, one in the front and one in the back, for each solar panel.
- Place the rails against the truss to ensure stability.
- Stagger the mounts to distribute the load across different parts of the roof.
- Accessories and Aesthetics:
- Opt for matching black accessories to maintain a uniform appearance.
- Ensure all components, including UFOs (universal module clamps), are black.
By following the instructions outlined in this comprehensive training document, Supreme Solar technicians will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to install solar panels on various roof types using appropriate mounting and railing systems. It is crucial to adhere to these installation procedures carefully, as they guarantee structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing solar panel installations. At Supreme Solar, we are committed to delivering high-quality solutions that harness the power of the sun while ensuring customer satisfaction.